Sunday, February 1, 2009

Water Elemental



Over the past week, my mind has been preoccupied with the nature of the creative process. How does it work? Where does it come from? To help facilitate some kind of answer I have looked through some literature from many different fields and contemplated upon some of my work and I still have no clear idea or view on the nature of the creative process.

Take the photograph Water Elemental (shown above). This photograph was the last of probably a dozen photographs I took of the water flows over one spot in the Medway Creek. Each photograph was different due to the way the water was flowing yet, it was not until this final photograph that this face appeared seemingly out of nowhere to create a finished product.

Did I create this face? Did the creative process initiate from within me, outside of me, or was I merely a conduit for this image to appear and express itself to me? Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

4 comments:

  1. I think you are asking about the 'nothing is an accident' theory. Only trouble is I can't remember who put this forward!

    Apart from that I am not sure whether you are asking another question about the fundamental nature of creativity itself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say it is mainly a question about the fundamental nature of creativity itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is easier to answer. We are creative creatures because it was a necessary change to stop us becoming extinct. The imagination we developed was necessary to our survival in changing circumstances. If we had not developed this unique capacity (to imagine, to think conceptually, to create)we would have faced total extinction as a species. We now express that in all sorts of ways - through art, philosophy and everything we create around us. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for or something more specific. Although I am not sure that there is more specific answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if we were to get more specific, we would end up in a very lengthy metaphysical discussion. Your response answers most of my question but still leaves me with the question on the mechanics of the creative process itself.

    ReplyDelete