Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Holy Mountain


Holy Mountain is the photograph that initiated my in depth exploration and love of water abstract photography. I was out on a hiking one of my favourite trails with a brand new digital camera in tow two autumns ago when I came across a section of Medway Creek that exhibited the most interesting colours. At this point I stopped, pulled out the new digital camera, and began putting it through the paces exploring all the different settings and features.

Needless to say, it was while playing around with the zoom settings on macro under differing light conditions and colour filters that I came across a method for creating water abstract photographs that have have the feel of paintings like the photograph, Holy Mountain.

It took me almost two years to come up with the title, Holy Mountain for this photograph. There was so much depth to this photograph that each time I looked at it something new would grab my attention. It wasn't until recently that I realized the one constant throughout my many contemplative observations of this photograph that there was always a golden haloed mountain ever present in the background, hence the title Holy Mountain.

6 comments:

  1. It is funny really. People often say to me that they don't understand 'abstract' paintings as if there is some secret language that they are not a part of. I sometimes think I live in a parallel universe because abstractions are all around us and none more so than in nature. Trees, sky, lakes, rivers, sea, etc. etc. often present us with the most fascinating abstract images - a kind of performance art as they are constantly changing. I think that your photo captures this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Philip.

    ...Too true regarding your comment on how some people mistake abstract works as having or being some kind of secret language. I wonder if it a case of people trying to find meaning instead of allowing the meaning to come to them through passive/receptive observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing a lot of your work I must say this is my personal favorite... I always find fascinating all the emotions and thoughts it brings to me... One glimpse of it brings back so many bittersweet memories... Whenever I look at it I tend to go back in time and stargaze at moments of the past especially sunny afternoons of a long forgotten summer which I wouldn't want back though... Because some moments should stay as memories, we should look ahead at the life yet to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Maria

    It is always nice to hear that one's work can elicit something from deep within the observer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to revisit these photos again. And enjoy the poetry again
    Osire

    ReplyDelete